Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Grandma's Chair

I have a feeling this is going to be difficult for me to write about but maybe it's time I talk about it. Quick back ground I have always planned on using my grandma's rocking chair for the baby but I originally planned on painting it and re-covering it. Well I did re- cover it but decided to leave the rest as is, here is why
Back in August we all went on our family cruise. The weeks following that quickly became a mess of information. After many doctors visits and waiting for what seemed like forever, we got some awful news... Grandma has cancer. Deep down I knew something was wrong but never thought we would be told we had about a year left with her. I can't begin to explain how hard that was to hear. It has rocked my world.
That weekend I made plans to go home and all I did was cry. I cried all the way home, I cried when I saw my dad, I cried when I was getting ready, seriously I cried A LOT! At one point my dad came upstairs and saw me and when I went to hug him I just let it all out. I lost it. I told him all I could think about is how much she was going to miss, how much we were going to miss. How this could very well be our last Holidays with her. It was raw and it was painful but it was real and still is. I can still feel that tug on my heart. It catches me off guard most of the time but I have gotten to the point that i can stop and instead of think of how much time I have left with her I think about how lucky I am to have her still! She has not stopped living, her or my Grandpa. She still goes to her water color class, church, shopping and everything else she did before. She is still my Grandma! She is an amazing woman and I have been so lucky to have the memories with her that I have.
Now I know she reads my blog from time to time and she very well could read this post, So Grandma know i am doing better and I too am at peace with it. I can't wait for you to meet our little Norris and share that experience with you! Even more so I'll be able to rock him in the chair I grew up sitting next to watching as you painted or worked on one of your many crafts and share stories of my childhood.

Here are a few before pictures of the rocking chair:

And here are some of the after:


Now just imagine those cushions in the blue plaid as well... 

 Look close and you can see paint splatters all over, I love it. I love that is has history and it's sentimental. The chair isn't the only thing going in his room that has history or is sentimental I'm using the same dresser my parents used for us when we were kids. I'm getting so excited to get his room put together. In just a few more weeks I hope to have it done!
Here they are together and just a couple other peeks of things that are going on in there. Notice the bed with no mattress?! I don't want to risk SIDS at all... Kidding kidding! That is a purchase we will make after the baby showers!
Grandma I hope I can do your chair justice. Thank you again for helping me re-cover it and giving me that craft day with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the recovering! Looks so good! I totally thought that the blue plaid was what you recovered and couldn't see how the ruffles, or the material for that matter, looked like you! I love the white! and the Ottoman looks AWESOME!!!!