Saturday, October 24, 2009

My oh my what a week


My heart is full today with love and appreciation for my family.It has been one heck of a week!
On our way home tonight Jeff and I got in a discussion about how precious every moment really is.
There have been a couple unexpected events to make us bring this discussion up one of which happened today (The other is not my story to tell but what an amazing family... my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this difficult time). The past two days Jeff has been in a softball tournament, one of many I have been to... today was by far the worst. In their third game of the tournament a member of the opposite team came up to bat and hit a ball straight at our pitcher, hitting him right in the face. I'm not sure how many of you know much about soft ball but, some guys can hit the ball dang hard. Imagine the sound a ball makes when it is hit square on... that was the same sound it made hitting this man's face. A sound and sight I never want to experience again. He was rushed off to the ER and then we found out he was going to be life flighted to Salt Lake because he was bleeding around his brain.
This shook Jeff and his team up pretty bad because nobody really thought it would be that bad. To make things even worse the team acted as though he deserved it and when the game resumed talked even more smack, just firing our guys up!
We are home now and the latest news we got was that he was doing better, both of his eye sockets are damaged, his nose was shattered, he has a bad blood clot in his forehead and we are still waiting on when surgery is going to be.
Luckily there was a delay in the games becasue of the incident so Jeff and another team mate were able to make it back to the hospital to give him a blessing as they were loading him up!
How greatful I am for the priesthood and that I have an amazing husband that cares so much for others. He sent out the bulk text to the team and they decided to fast and pray for him and his family tomorrow, how blessed we are to have the faith and knowledge we have! I love my husband and am greatful for him more than he will ever know! I also hope the Johnson family knows they are in our thoughts and prayers!
I hope that by writing this I can let go of the images I have had in my head all day of this poor man's face and the puddle of blood left behind, I also hope it motivats pitchers to wear masks so things like this don't happen to another fmaily.
Much Love..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At one of Cameron's softball games the same thing happened. The other team hit the ball and it hit the pitcher right in the neck where one of his arteries are or something. The sound was disgusting and he instantly was knocked out and fell to the groud. And he started gurgling and stuff - it was not good. I know how it feel. Luckly he didn't have to be life-flighted. I hope your pitcher recovers fast and well.